Sunday, July 13, 2014

How to Pack for a Chemo Slumber Party?

Slumber party? I have to add a light hearted spin to chemo treatments to avoid my brain focusing on the doom & gloom we have ahead of us.  I see it two ways. One, I could tell myself that Lulu has an upcoming hospital stay where they are going to inject her with toxic medicine.So toxic that as fast as they inject it into her spine leading to her brain, her heart, and orally with a pill we have to get it out of her system. So important to get it out that this round they will give her another medicine to help cleanse her body to avoid damage to other organs.  Two,  I could try and make some sort of fun adventure out of it. We're going to have a slumber party. Maybe we'll get to see some of your  friends and play outside . We'll be able to go to the playroom & even skate around on your IV pole.  Doesn't option #2 sound so much better?  I think so & my sanity does too :)

Fingers crossed this is the week Lulu can start what we call "phase 3" of chemo. (Formally known as Interim Maintenance with HD MTX ... 63 days) See why we just say "phase 3".

The "must haves" (tried uploading a photo, but not able to on my phone) You cam find pictures at facebook.com/teapotsandtoads

1- Sanitizer -  attached to the strap so it's one less thing to pack since it's already attached!

2- Sensi Care Sting Free Adhesive Remover - This is a new product for us recommended by the Momcology FB page. We're hoping this helps with the large bandage they place over the port.

3- Masks - Never leave home without these guys. I keep a supply in my glove box too.

4- Minky Wipes - Hospital tissues feel more like sandpaper :/

5- Chapstick - Chemo side effects,  Lulu always has chapped lips.


Hope this helps you pack or offers some gift ideas if you know another child battling leukemia.

No comments:

Post a Comment