Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Furlough Foodie

Our family was spared at the 11th hour from this government shutdown. THANK GOODNESS because our "emergency savings" would have only carried us for about a month. Eek! 

We got lucky, but it still has me worried. What if?

Off to find low cost, but still delicious & filling meals. I googled what I had in my frig "carrots, celery, and rice" and this recipe popped up.

I subbed the spinach with kale, chicken bouillon for vegetable, and added two cloves of garlic. Everything gets thrown into the pot & dinner is done in 30 minutes or less. I was a little worried my four year old would wrinkle her nose to the kale so I served it up with some faux chicken nuggets. (faux chicken nuggets? chicken nuggets minus the chicken, but not a lot of ingredients either. Our family tries to maximize plant foods and minimize animal products)
It's creamy enough that I didn't add any butter, but I wish I had a lemon. Next time! 

Enjoy!






  

No comments:

Post a Comment